Dailystocks.com - Ticker-based level links to all the information for the Stocks you own. Portal for Daytrading and Finance and Investing Web Sites
DailyStocks.com
What's New
Site Map
Help
FAQ
Home Quotes/Data/Chart Warren Buffett Fund Letters Ticker-based Links Education/Tips Insider Buying Index Quotes Forums Finance Site Directory
OTCBB Investors Daily Glossary News/Edtrl Company Overviews PowerRatings China Stocks Buy/Sell Indicators Company Profiles About Us
Nanotech List Videos Magic Formula Value Investing Daytrading/TA Analysis Activist Stocks Wi-fi List FOREX Quote ETF Quotes Commodities
Make DailyStocks Your Home Page AAII Ranked this System #1 Since 1998 Bookmark and Share

Welcome!
Welcome to the investing community at DailyStocks where we believe we have some of the most intelligent investors around. While we have had an online presence since 1997 as a portal, we are just beginning the forums section now. Our moderators are serious investors with MBA and CFAs with practical experience wwell-versed in fundamental, value, or technical investing. We look forward to your contribution to this community.

Recent Topics
Article by DailyStocks_admin    (04-30-08 04:07 AM)

Filed with the SEC from Apr 17 to Apr 24:

MI Developments (MI)
Greenlight Capital plans to vote against a reorganization proposal for MI that was submitted by entities affiliated with Frank Stronach of the Stronach Group, its controlling shareholder. Greenlight said that its primary concern with the proposal is that the benefits received by Stronach are so "inequitable" that the reorganization is "patently unfair to the MI shareholders." Greenlight previously submitted a shareholder proposal asking MI shareholders to vote to have the board implement the value-enhancing proposals which the board itself developed and adopted unanimously in May 2005. They called for steadily increasing MI's financial leverage, regularly increasing dividends, repurchasing shares and rationalizing the company's relationship with Magna Entertainment (MECA).
"To date, the board resolutions have not been implemented, despite the three years that have elapsed since the company's board adopted them," Greenlight said. Greenlight owns 4,975,000 shares (10.8%).
BUSINESS OVERVIEW

M&I, a Wisconsin corporation, is a registered bank holding company under the Bank Holding Company Act of 1956 (the “BHCA”) and is certified as a financial holding company under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. As of December 31, 2007, M&I had consolidated total assets of approximately $59.8 billion and consolidated total deposits of approximately $35.2 billion, making M&I the largest bank holding company headquartered in Wisconsin. The executive offices of M&I are located at 770 North Water Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202 (telephone number (414) 765-7801). M&I’s principal assets are the stock of its bank and nonbank subsidiaries, which, as of February 15, 2008, consisted of five bank and trust subsidiaries and a number of companies engaged in businesses that the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (the “Federal Reserve Board”) has determined to be closely-related or incidental to the business of banking. M&I provides its subsidiaries with financial and managerial assistance in such areas as budgeting, tax planning, auditing, compliance assistance, asset and liability management, investment administration and portfolio planning, business development, advertising and human resources management.

M&I provides diversified financial services to a wide variety of corporate, institutional, government and individual customers. M&I’s largest affiliates and principal operations are in Wisconsin; however, it has activities in other markets, particularly in certain neighboring Midwestern states, and in Arizona, Nevada and Florida. The Corporation’s principal activities consist of banking and wealth management services. Banking services, lending and accepting deposits from commercial banking and community banking customers are provided through its lead bank, M&I Marshall & Ilsley Bank (“M&I Bank”), Southwest Bank, an M&I Bank (formerly known as Southwest Bank of St. Louis) (“Southwest Bank”), which is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, M&I Bank FSB, a federal savings bank subsidiary of M&I located in Las Vegas, and an asset-based lending subsidiary headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In addition to branches located throughout Wisconsin, banking services are provided in branches located throughout Arizona, the Minneapolis, Minnesota, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri metropolitan areas, Duluth, Minnesota, Belleville, Illinois, Las Vegas, Nevada, Florida and central Indiana, and through the Internet. Wealth Management, which includes Marshall & Ilsley Trust Company, N.A., M&I Brokerage Services, the private banking divisions of the Corporation’s bank subsidiaries and other subsidiaries related to the wealth management business, provides trust services, brokerage and insurance services, and investment management and advisory services to residents of Wisconsin, Arizona, Minnesota, Missouri, Florida, Nevada and Indiana. Other financial services provided by M&I include personal property lease financing, wholesale lending, investment services to institutional clients and venture capital.

In conjunction with the separation transaction involving M&I and its former subsidiary, Metavante Corporation, which is described in the Explanatory Note below, M&I reorganized its business segments. Based on the way M&I organizes its business, M&I has four reportable segments: Commercial Banking, Community Banking, Wealth Management and Treasury. Each of these segments is described in detail below. More information on M&I’s business segments is contained in Note 24 of the Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements contained in Item 8, Consolidated Financial Statements and Supplementary Data.

Commercial Banking

M&I’s Commercial Banking segment provides financial expertise in Corporate, Commercial, Correspondent and Commercial Real Estate Banking. Commercial Banking provides a complete line of commercial, corporate and real estate banking products and services, including: traditional commercial loans and lines of credit, letters of credit, asset-based lending, equipment financing, mezzanine financing, global trade services, foreign exchange services, treasury management and other financial services to middle market, large corporate and public sector clients. Commercial Banking also supports the commercial real estate and correspondent banking markets with products and services including secured and unsecured lines of credit, letters of credit, construction loans for commercial and residential development and land acquisition and development loans.

Community Banking

M&I’s Community Banking segment provides consumer and business banking products and services to customers primarily within the states in which M&I offers banking services. Community banking services are provided through branches located throughout Wisconsin, Arizona, the Minneapolis, Minnesota, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri metropolitan areas, and Orlando, Florida metropolitan areas, Duluth, Minnesota, Belleville, Illinois, Las Vegas, Nevada, Florida’s west coast and central Indiana. Consumer products include loan and deposit products such as mortgages, home equity loan and lines, credit cards, student loans, personal lines of credit and term loans, demand deposit accounts, interest bearing transaction accounts and time deposits. Business banking products include secured and unsecured lines and term loans for working capital, inventory and general corporate use, commercial real estate construction loans, agricultural loans, demand deposit accounts, interest bearing transaction accounts and time deposits.

Wealth Management

The Wealth Management segment, which includes M&I’s Trust, Brokerage and Private Banking businesses, provides integrated asset management, trust and banking services through three business lines: Investment Management, Personal Services and Institutional Services. Investment Management is a multi-dimensional asset management service with a broad range of strategies, styles and product delivery options such as separately managed equity and fixed income strategies, managed asset allocation strategies, alternative investments and The Marshall Funds, M&I’s family of mutual funds. Personal Services includes Cedar Street Advisors, Personal Wealth Management and M&I Financial Advisors. Cedar Street Advisors manages the complex financial affairs of ultra-high net worth individuals and their families. Personal Wealth Management services assemble and implement an all-inclusive financial roadmap for high net worth individuals and families, providing for their private banking (credit and deposits), investment, estate and tax planning needs. M&I Financial Advisors uses a formulized financial planning process based on an individual’s resources, goals, and risk tolerance to develop a personalized financial plan, and then offers a full array of brokerage and insurance solutions to meet that plan. The Institutional Services business includes Retirement Plan Services, Taft-Hartley Services, Not-for-Profit Services, North Star Deferred Exchange and Trust Operations Outsourcing.

Treasury

Treasury provides management of interest rate risk, capital, liquidity, funding and investments to the Corporation and all of its subsidiary banks.

All Others

The Other segment includes an Investment Division and a National Consumer Banking Division. The Investment Division provides a variety of products and services designed to address its customers’ risk management and investment needs. These services include foreign exchange services, derivative solutions and investment services, currency conversion and foreign exchange risk management. These services are provided primarily to corporate, business banking and financial institution clients. The National Consumer Banking Division provides wholesale home equity consumer lending, indirect automobile financing, and affinity banking services.

Explanatory Note—Separation of Marshall & Ilsley Corporation and Metavante Corporation

Prior to November 1, 2007, Marshall & Ilsley Corporation consisted of two reportable business segments: Banking and Data Services (or Metavante). On November 1, 2007, Marshall & Ilsley Corporation separated the Banking and Data Services businesses into two separate publicly-traded companies: “new” Marshall & Ilsley Corporation and Metavante Technologies, Inc. (formerly known as Metavante Corporation and referred to in this report as “Metavante”). This event and the related transactions are referred to in this report as the “Separation.” The company known as Marshall & Ilsley Corporation prior to November 1, 2007 became a wholly-owned subsidiary of new Marshall & Ilsley Corporation (the ultimate parent company of the Banking business) and was converted into a Wisconsin limited liability company named M&I LLC. Where applicable, the company formerly known as Marshall & Ilsley Corporation and now known as M&I LLC is referred to in this report as “Old M&I.” Also on November 1, 2007, the company that is now the ultimate parent company of the Banking business changed its name to Marshall & Ilsley Corporation. Where it is necessary to distinguish this new entity from Marshall & Ilsley Corporation as a whole, the company that is now the ultimate parent company of the Banking business is referred to in this report as “New M&I.” In all other instances, unless otherwise noted, the terms “M&I” or the “Corporation” refer to Marshall & Ilsley Corporation, the ultimate parent of the Banking business, since November 1, 2007, and to Old M&I prior to November 1, 2007.

Additional information regarding the Separation may be found in Note 2 of the Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements contained in Item 8, Consolidated Financial Statements and Supplementary Data.

Risk Management

Managing risk is an essential component of successfully operating a financial services company. M&I has an enterprise-wide approach to risk governance, measurement, management and reporting risks inherent in its businesses. Risk management practices include key elements such as independent checks and balances, formal authority limits, policies and procedures and portfolio management. M&I’s internal audit department also evaluates risk management activities. These evaluations include performing internal audits and reporting the results to management and the Audit and Risk Management Committees, as appropriate.

M&I has established a number of management committees responsible for assessing and evaluating risks associated with the Company’s businesses including the Credit Policy Committee, Asset Liability Committee (ALCO) and the Enterprise Risk Committee. M&I has in place a Risk Management Committee of the Board of Directors for oversight and governance of its risk management function. The Risk Management Committee consists of four non-management directors and has the responsibility of overseeing management’s actions with respect to credit, market, liquidity, fiduciary, operational, compliance, legal and reputation risks as well as M&I’s overall risk profile. M&I’s Chief Risk Officer is responsible for reporting to this committee.

Operational Risk Management

Operational risk is the risk of loss from human errors, failed or inadequate processes or systems and external events. This risk is inherent in all businesses. Resulting losses could take the form of explicit charges, increased operational costs, harm to M&I’s reputation or lost opportunities.

M&I seeks to mitigate operational risk through a system of internal controls to manage this risk at appropriate levels. Primary responsibility for managing internal controls lies with the managers of M&I’s various business lines. M&I monitors and assesses the overall effectiveness of its system of internal controls on an ongoing basis. The Enterprise Risk Committee oversees M&I’s monitoring, management and measurement of operational risk. In addition, M&I has established several other executive management committees to monitor, measure and report on specific operational risks to the Corporation, including, business continuity planning, customer information security and compliance. These committees report to the Risk Management Committee of the Board of Directors on a regular basis.

Corporate Governance Matters

M&I has adopted a Code of Business Conduct and Ethics that applies to all of M&I’s employees, officers and directors, including M&I’s Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer and Controller. The Code of Business Conduct and Ethics is filed as an exhibit to this report and is also available on M&I’s website at www.micorp.com. M&I intends to disclose any amendment to or waiver of the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics that applies to M&I’s Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer or Controller on its website within five business days following the date of the amendment or waiver.

M&I makes available free of charge through its website its Annual Report on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, Current Reports on Form 8-K and its insiders’ Section 16 reports and all amendments to these reports as soon as reasonably practicable after these materials are filed with or furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission. In addition, certain documents relating to corporate governance matters are available on M&I’s website described above. These documents include, among others, the following:

•

Charter for the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors;

•

Charter for the Compensation and Human Resources Committee of the Board of Directors;

•

Charter for the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee of the Board of Directors;

•

Categorical Standards for Lending, Banking and Other Business Relationships Involving M&I’s Directors;

•

Corporate Governance Guidelines; and

•

Code of Business Conduct and Ethics.

Shareholders also may obtain a copy of any of these documents free of charge by calling the M&I Shareholder Information Line at 1 (800) 642-2657. Information contained on any of M&I’s websites is not deemed to be a part of this Annual Report.

Acquisitions Announced or Completed in 2007

On July 9, 2007, M&I announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire First Indiana Corporation (“First Indiana”) based in Indianapolis, Indiana. The acquisition was completed on January 2, 2008. First Indiana, with $2.1 billion in consolidated assets as of December 31, 2007, had 32 offices in central Indiana. The First Indiana branches became branches of M&I Bank on February 2, 2008.

On July 1, 2007, M&I completed its acquisition of Excel Bank Corporation (“Excel”). Excel, with $616.0 million in consolidated assets as of June 30, 2007, had four branches in the greater Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota metropolitan area. The Excel branches became branches of M&I Bank on August 1, 2007.

M&I completed the acquisition of Chicago, Illinois-based North Star Financial Corporation (“North Star”) on April 20, 2007. North Star and its subsidiaries provided a variety of wealth management services through personal and other trusts and offers a variety of other products and services such as land trusts, 1031 exchanges for both real and personal property, and ESOP services, including consultative services relating to the transfer of small-business stock ownership. North Star’s businesses were integrated with the Corporation’s Wealth Management unit.

On April 1, 2007, the Corporation completed its acquisition of United Heritage Bankshares of Florida, Inc. (“United Heritage”). United Heritage Bank, a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Heritage, with $791.3 million in assets as of March 31, 2007, had 13 branches in the metropolitan Orlando area. The United Heritage Bank branches became M&I Bank branches in the second quarter of 2007.

More information on M&I’s acquisitions can be found in Note 5 of the Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements contained in Item 8, Consolidated Financial Statements and Supplementary Data.

M&I continues to evaluate opportunities to acquire banking institutions and other financial service providers and frequently conducts due diligence activities in connection with possible transactions. As a result, M&I may engage in discussions, and in some cases, negotiations with prospective targets and may make future acquisitions for cash, equity or debt securities. The issuance of additional shares of M&I common stock would dilute a shareholder’s ownership interest in M&I. In addition, M&I’s acquisitions may involve the payment of a premium over book value, and therefore, some dilution of book value may occur with any future acquisition. Generally, it is M&I’s policy not to comment on such discussions or possible acquisitions until a definitive agreement has been signed. M&I’s strategy for growth includes strengthening its presence in core markets, expanding into attractive markets and broadening its product offerings.

M&I business segment information is contained in Note 24 of the Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements contained in Item 8, Consolidated Financial Statements and Supplementary Data.

Competition

M&I and its subsidiaries face substantial competition from hundreds of competitors in the markets they serve, some of which are larger and have greater resources than M&I. M&I’s bank subsidiaries compete for deposits and other sources of funds and for credit relationships with other banks, savings associations, credit unions, finance companies, mutual funds, life insurance companies (and other long-term lenders) and other financial and non-financial companies located both within and outside M&I’s primary market areas, many of which offer products functionally equivalent to bank products. M&I’s nonbank operations compete with numerous banks, finance companies, leasing companies, mortgage bankers, brokerage firms, financial advisors, trust companies, mutual funds and investment bankers in Wisconsin and throughout the United States.

Employees

As of December 31, 2007, M&I and its subsidiaries employed in the aggregate 9,670 employees. M&I considers employee relations to be excellent. None of the employees of M&I or its subsidiaries are represented by a collective bargaining group.

Supervision and Regulation

As registered bank holding companies, M&I and M&I LLC (referred to collectively in this section as “M&I”) are subject to regulation and examination by the Federal Reserve Board under the BHCA. As of February 15, 2008, M&I owned a total of five bank and trust subsidiaries, including two Wisconsin state banks, a Missouri state bank, a federal savings bank, and a national banking association. M&I’s two Wisconsin state bank subsidiaries are subject to regulation and examination by the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, as well as by the Federal Reserve Board. M&I’s Missouri state bank subsidiary is subject to regulation and examination by the Missouri Department of Economic Development, Division of Finance, and the Federal Reserve Board. M&I’s federal savings bank subsidiary is subject to regulation and examination by the Office of Thrift Supervision. M&I’s national bank, through which trust operations are conducted, is subject to regulation and examination by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. In addition, all of M&I’s bank subsidiaries are subject to examination by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (“FDIC”).

Under Federal Reserve Board policy, M&I is expected to act as a source of financial strength to each of its bank subsidiaries and to commit resources to support each bank subsidiary in circumstances when it might not do so absent such requirements. In addition, there are numerous federal and state laws and regulations which regulate the activities of M&I and its bank subsidiaries, including requirements and limitations relating to capital and reserve requirements, permissible investments and lines of business, transactions with officers, directors and affiliates, loan limits, consumer protection laws, privacy of financial information, predatory lending, fair lending, mergers and acquisitions, issuances of securities, dividend payments, inter-affiliate liabilities, extensions of credit and branch banking. Information regarding capital requirements for bank holding companies and tables reflecting M&I’s regulatory capital position at December 31, 2007 can be found in Note 16 of the Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements contained in Item 8, Consolidated Financial Statements and Supplementary Data.

The federal regulatory agencies have broad power to take prompt corrective action if a depository institution fails to maintain certain capital levels. In addition, a bank holding company’s controlled insured depository institutions are liable for any loss incurred by the FDIC in connection with the default of, or any FDIC-assisted transaction involving, an affiliated insured bank or savings association. Current federal law provides that adequately capitalized and managed bank holding companies from any state may acquire banks and bank holding companies located in any other state, subject to certain conditions. Banks are permitted to create interstate branching networks in states that have not “opted out” of interstate branching. M&I Bank currently maintains interstate branches in Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota and Missouri and Southwest Bank maintains an interstate branch in Illinois.

The laws and regulations to which M&I is subject are constantly under review by Congress, regulatory agencies and state legislatures. In 1999, Congress enacted the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (the “Act”). Among other things, the Act repealed certain restrictions on affiliations between banks and securities firms. The Act also amended the BHCA to permit bank holding companies that qualify as “financial holding companies” to engage in a broad list of “financial activities,” and any non-financial activity that the Federal Reserve Board, in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury, determines is “complementary” to a financial activity and poses no substantial risk to the safety and soundness of depository institutions or the financial system. The Act treats various lending, insurance underwriting, insurance company, portfolio investment, financial advisory, securities underwriting, dealing and market-making, and merchant banking activities as financial in nature for this purpose.

Under the Act, a bank holding company may become certified as a financial holding company by filing a notice with the Federal Reserve Board, together with a certification that the bank holding company meets certain criteria, including capital, management, and Community Reinvestment Act requirements. New M&I registered as a financial holding company on November 1, 2007, immediately following the Separation.

The Federal Reserve Board has authority to prohibit bank holding companies from paying dividends if it deems such payment to be an unsafe or unsound practice. The Federal Reserve Board has indicated generally that it may be an unsafe or unsound practice for bank holding companies to pay dividends unless the company’s net income is sufficient to fund the dividends and the company’s expected rate of earnings retention is consistent with its capital needs, asset quality and overall financial condition. M&I depends, in part, upon dividends received from its subsidiary banks to fund its activities, including the payment of dividends. These subsidiary banks are subject to regulatory limitations on the amount of dividends they may pay.

In 2001, Congress enacted the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 (the “USA PATRIOT Act”). The USA PATRIOT Act is designed to deny terrorists and criminals the ability to obtain access to the United States financial system, and has significant implications for depository institutions, brokers, dealers and other businesses involved in the transfer of money. The USA PATRIOT Act mandates financial services companies to implement additional policies and procedures with respect to, or additional measures designed to address, any or all of the following matters, among others: money laundering, terrorist financing, identifying and reporting suspicious activities and currency transactions, and currency crimes.

The earnings and business of M&I and its bank subsidiaries also are affected by the general economic and political conditions in the United States and abroad and by the monetary and fiscal policies of various federal agencies. The Federal Reserve Board impacts the competitive conditions under which M&I operates by determining the cost of funds obtained from money market sources for lending and investing and by exerting influence on interest rates and credit conditions. In addition, legislative and economic factors can be expected to have an ongoing impact on the competitive environment within the financial services industry. The impact of fluctuating economic conditions and federal regulatory policies on the future profitability of M&I and its subsidiaries cannot be predicted with certainty.

CEO BACKGROUND

Andrew N. Baur, Chairman of the Board of Southwest Bank, an M&I Bank (formerly known as Southwest Bank of St. Louis), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company, since October 2002; Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Mississippi Valley Bancshares, Inc., a bank holding company, and its subsidiary, Southwest Bank of St. Louis, from 1984 to September 2002. Also a director of Bakers Footwear Group, Inc., Wausau Paper Corp., Orgill, Inc., a provider of wholesale distribution and retail services to the home improvement industry, and St. Louis Cardinals, L.P. A Director since October 2002.

Jon F. Chait, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Hudson Highland Group, Inc., a global provider of professional staffing, retained executive search and human capital solutions, since October 2002; Chairman of Spring Group, plc, a provider of workforce management solutions, May 2000 through June 2002 and Chief Executive Officer from May 2000 to March 2002; Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Magenta.com, a developer of web-enabled human resource solutions, 1998 to 2000; Executive Vice President, Secretary and Director, August 1991 to July 1998, Managing Director-International Operations, 1995 to July 1998, Chief Financial Officer, August 1993 to July 1998, Manpower Inc. and Executive Vice President, September 1989 to July 1998, Manpower International Inc., a provider of temporary employment services. Also a director of Krueger International, Inc., a manufacturer of office furniture. A Director since 1990.

John W. Daniels, Jr., Chairman since September 2007 and Partner since 1981, Quarles & Brady, L.L.P., a law firm. Chairman of the Board of North Milwaukee State Bank, 1997 to April 2005. National President, American College of Real Estate Lawyers. Also a director of V&J Foods, Inc. (and affiliates controlled by V&J Foods, Inc.), Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce, Greater Milwaukee Foundation, NISH Institute for Leadership, Performance and Development, Wisconsin United for Health Foundation, Inc., Greater Milwaukee Committee and Ralph Evinrude Foundation. A Director since April 2005.

Dennis J. Kuester, Chairman of the Board since January 2005, Chief Executive Officer from January 2002 to April 2007, and President of the Company from 1987 to 2005; Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer from October 2001 to April 2007, President from 1989 to October 2001 and Director since 1989, M&I Marshall & Ilsley Bank; Chairman of the Board and Director, Metavante Technologies, Inc. Also a director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Modine Manufacturing Company, Wausau Paper Corp., Krueger International, Inc., a manufacturer of office furniture, Super Steel Products Corp., YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee, Froedtert Hospital, Medical College of Wisconsin and the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation and Chairman of the Board of Christian Stewardship Foundation. A Director since February 1994.

David J. Lubar, President of Lubar & Co. Incorporated, a private equity investment firm, since 1992. Also a director of The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Greater Milwaukee Foundation, Milwaukee Jewish Federation, Jewish Community Foundation, UWM Foundation, UWM Real Estate Foundation, University School of Milwaukee, Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce, and Froedtert & Community Health. A Director since April 2007.

John A. Mellowes, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer since 1980 of Charter Manufacturing Company, Inc., a producer of bar, rod, wire and wire parts for the auto industry and other industries. Also a director of Grede Foundries, Inc., Twin Disc, Inc., YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee and Junior Achievement of Wisconsin, Inc., and a member of the Board of Regents of the Milwaukee School of Engineering. A Director since April 2002.

Robert J. O’Toole, Retired; Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer from April 1992 to December 2005 and President and Chief Executive Officer from 1989 to 1992, and President and Chief Operating Officer from 1986 to 1989, A.O. Smith Corporation, a manufacturer of electric motors and water systems technologies. Also a director of A.O. Smith Corporation, a diversified manufacturer, Briggs & Stratton Corporation, a manufacturer of gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment, and Factory Mutual Insurance Company. A Director since April 2002.

San W. Orr, Jr., Chairman of the Board and director of Wausau Paper Corp.; Attorney, Estates of A.P. Woodson & Family. Also a director and President of the Woodson YMCA Foundation and Nancy Woodson Spire Foundation, Inc., director of the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation and Chairman Emeritus of the University of Wisconsin Foundation. A Director since July 1994.

John S. Shiely, Chairman of the Board since January 2003, President and Chief Executive Officer since 2001, President and Chief Operating Officer from 1994 to 2001, Executive Vice President-Administration from 1991 to 1994, Briggs & Stratton Corporation, a manufacturer of gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment. Also a director of Quad/Graphics Inc., Cleveland Rock and Roll, Inc. (corporate board of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum) and The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company; Chairman of the Board of Children’s Hospital and Health System, Inc. and the Board of Trustees of the Medical College of Wisconsin. A Director since April 1999.

Debra S. Waller, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Jockey International, Inc., an undergarment manufacturer, since January 2001, formerly Vice Chairman of the Board from February 2000 to January 2001, Assistant to the President from 1995 to January 2001 and Executive Vice President from 1995 to 2000. Also a director of Church Mutual Insurance Company and Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, a trustee of Carthage College, and a member of the Yale Center for Faith and Culture Advisory Board. A Director since April 2004.

MANAGEMENT DISCUSSION FROM LATEST 10K

Overview

The Corporation’s overall strategy is to drive earnings per share growth by: (1) expanding banking operations not only in Wisconsin but also into faster growing regions beyond Wisconsin; (2) increasing the number of financial institutions to which the Corporation provides correspondent banking services and products; and (3) expanding trust services and other wealth management product and service offerings.

Net income in 2007 amounted to $1,150.9 million or $4.34 per diluted share. The return on average assets and return on average equity were 1.98% and 17.23%, respectively. By comparison, net income in 2006 was $807.8 million, diluted earnings per share was $3.17, the return on average assets was 1.53% and the return on average equity was 14.42%. For the year ended December 31, 2005, net income was $706.2 million or $2.99 per diluted share and the returns on average assets and average equity were 1.63% and 16.21%, respectively.

On November 1, 2007, Marshall & Ilsley Corporation (Accounting Predecessor to New Marshall & Ilsley Corporation) which is referred to as “M&I” or the “Corporation” and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Metavante Corporation (Accounting Predecessor to Metavante Technologies, Inc.), which is referred to as “Metavante,” became two separate publicly traded companies in accordance with the plan the Corporation announced in early April 2007. The Corporation believes this transaction, which the Corporation refers to as the “Separation” will provide substantial benefits to the shareholders of both companies by creating additional opportunities to focus on core businesses. New Marshall & Ilsley Corporation’s enhanced capital position is expected to be a source of strength in the current credit environment as well as drive earnings per share growth by enabling it to provide resources for continued organic growth, fund strategic initiatives within its business lines and pursue opportunities in new geographic markets.

As part of the Separation, the Corporation received capital contributions of $1,665 million in cash from Metavante, which consisted of a contribution from Metavante of $1,040 million and proceeds of $625 million from Metavante’s issuance of a 25% equity interest to WPM L.P., an affiliate of Warburg Pincus LLC (“Warburg Pincus”). In addition, the Corporation received $982 million in repayment of indebtedness that was due from Metavante. In considering the redeployment of the tangible capital generated from the Separation, the Corporation has established the following priorities: (1) prudently invest in the franchise which includes maintaining a strong capital base in the current credit environment; (2) pursue financially disciplined acquisitions in wealth management and banking; and (3) prudently allocate capital to common stock repurchases and to common stock dividends.

As a result of the Separation, the assets, liabilities and net income of Metavante have been de-consolidated from the Corporation’s historical consolidated financial statements and are now reported as discontinued operations. For the year ended December 31, 2007, discontinued operations in the Consolidated Statements of Income also includes the expenses and the tax-free gain that were attributable to the Separation transaction. For accounting purposes only, the investment by Warburg Pincus in Metavante for an equity interest representing 25% of Metavante was treated as a sale of 25% of Metavante’s common stock by the Corporation to Warburg Pincus for cash in the amount of $625 million. The sale resulted in a tax-free gain in the amount of $525.6 million. The assets and liabilities reported as discontinued operations do not directly reconcile to historical consolidated assets and liabilities reported by Metavante. The amounts reported as assets or liabilities of discontinued operations include adjustments for intercompany cash and deposits, receivables and payables, intercompany debt and reclassifications that were required to de-consolidate the financial information of the two companies.

Income from continuing operations in 2007 amounted to $496.9 million or $1.87 per diluted share compared to income from continuing operations in 2006 of $647.7 million or $2.54 per diluted share, a decrease of $150.8 million or $0.67 per diluted share. The decrease in income from continuing operations in 2007 compared to 2006 was primarily attributable to the increases in the provision for loan and lease losses.

Consistent with what many bank holding companies experienced in 2007, the deterioration in the national residential real estate markets had a negative impact on the Corporation’s loan and lease portfolio. The Corporation’s construction and development real estate loans, particularly in Arizona and the west coast of Florida, exhibited the most dramatic increase in stress and impairment. As a result, net charge-offs and the provision for loan and lease losses were significantly higher in 2007 when compared to the Corporation’s historical experience with net charge-offs and the provision for loan and lease losses. The provision for loan and lease losses amounted to $319.8 million in 2007 compared to $50.6 million in 2006, an increase of $269.2 million. On an after-tax basis, the increase in the provision for loan and lease losses in 2007 compared to 2006 amounted to approximately $175.0 million or $0.66 per diluted share.

Expenses in 2007 include losses associated with two debt terminations, litigation accruals that arose from the Corporation’s membership interests in Visa, Inc. (“Visa”) and a donation to support charitable works in the communities within the Corporation’s markets. In the aggregate, these expense and loss items amounted to approximately $134.5 million and resulted in a decrease to income from continuing operations of $87.4 million or $0.32 per diluted share.

Organic loan and bank-issued deposit growth, the two banking acquisitions completed in 2007 and a full year of the two banking acquisitions completed in 2006 contributed to the growth in net interest income and other banking sources of revenues. Continued growth in assets under management and assets under administration and acquisitions resulted in solid growth in fee income for Wealth Management. Increased investment securities gains and gains from branch sales were somewhat offset by lower mortgage banking revenue in 2007.

Income from continuing operations in 2006 amounted to $647.7 million or $2.54 per diluted share compared to income from continuing operations in 2005 of $586.7 million or $2.49 per diluted share, and increase of $61.0 million or $0.05 per diluted share.

The increase in income from continuing operations in 2006 compared to 2005 was attributable to a number of factors. The increase in net interest income was due to strong organic loan and bank issued deposit growth and the contribution from two banking acquisitions that were completed on April 1, 2006. Net charge-offs were below the Corporation’s five-year historical average in 2006. Growth in assets under management and assets under administration and acquisitions resulted in continued growth in fee income for Wealth Management. Although an unpredictable source of earnings, investment securities gains were $35.8 million lower in 2006 compared to 2005. Income from continuing operations for the year ended December 31, 2006, includes the impact of the mark-to-market adjustments associated with certain interest rate swaps. The impact, which is reported as Net derivative losses-discontinued hedges in the Consolidated Statements of Income, resulted in a decrease to income from continuing operations of $12.0 million or $0.05 per diluted share in 2006. These factors, along with continued expense management, all contributed to the growth in income from continuing operations in 2006.

With regard to the outlook in 2008, management expects that, even with the benefit of the cash received from Metavante, continued pricing competition for loan products, increased funding costs and the elevated levels of nonperforming loans make it more likely that modest net interest margin compression will continue. Commercial and industrial loan growth is expected to show mid single-digit growth rates. Commercial real estate growth is expected to be in the mid single-digit percentage range. Wealth management revenue is expected to show high single-digit to low double-digit growth rates depending on market volatility and direction.

With respect to credit quality, management expects 2008 will continue to be a difficult year for residential real estate markets. Management expects the provision for loan and lease losses will continue to be higher than its pre-2007 historical experience and estimates that the provision for loan and lease losses will be in the range of $50 million to $55 million per quarter in 2008. As the Corporation works toward the resolution of its nonperforming loans and leases, the provision for loan and lease losses could exceed management’s expectations in any quarter or quarters in 2008. Should real estate markets deteriorate more than management currently expects, the Corporation would experience increased levels of nonperforming assets, increased net charge-offs, a higher provision for loan and lease losses, lower net interest income and increased operating costs due to the expense associated with collection efforts and the operating expense of carrying nonperforming assets. There are however, numerous unknown factors at this time that will ultimately affect the timing and amount of nonperforming assets, net charge-offs and the provision for loan and lease losses that will be recognized in 2008.

The Corporation’s actual results for 2008 could differ materially from those expected by management. See “Forward-Looking Statements” in Item 1A. of this Form 10-K for a discussion of the various risk factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from expected results.

The results of operations and financial condition for the periods presented include the effects of the banking-related and wealth management-related acquisitions from the dates of consummation of the acquisitions. All transactions were accounted for using the purchase method of accounting. See Note 5 in Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements for a discussion of the Corporation’s banking and wealth management acquisitions completed in 2007 and 2006.

Recently Completed Acquisition

The following acquisition, which is not considered to be a material business combination, was completed after December 31, 2007:

On January 2, 2008, the Corporation completed the acquisition of First Indiana Corporation (“First Indiana”) based in Indianapolis, Indiana. First Indiana, with $2.1 billion in consolidated assets as of December 31, 2007, had 32 offices in central Indiana that became branches of M&I Bank on February 2, 2008. Stockholders of First Indiana received $32.00 in cash for each share of First Indiana common stock outstanding, or approximately $530.2 million.

Significant Transactions

Some of the more significant transactions in 2007, 2006 and 2005 consisted of the following:

During 2007, the Corporation completed two banking acquisitions and one wealth management acquisition and, as previously discussed, completed the transaction in which the Corporation and Metavante became two separate publicly traded companies.

During 2007, the Corporation sold three bank branches located in the Tulsa, Oklahoma market after management determined that exiting that market was a better allocation of resources as compared to the costs of further expansion in that market. The gain, which is a component of Other Income in the Consolidated Statements of Income, amounted to $29.0 million which increased income from continuing operations by $16.9 million or $0.06 per diluted share.

During 2007, the Corporation sold its investment in MasterCard Class B common shares in order to monetize the significant appreciation in the market price of the common stock of MasterCard since its initial public offering. The realized gain, which is reported in Net Investment Securities Gains in the Consolidated Statements of Income, amounted to $19.0 million which increased income from continuing operations by $12.4 million or $0.05 per diluted share.

During 2007, the Corporation called the $200 million 7.65% junior subordinated deferrable interest debentures and the related M&I Capital Trust A 7.65% trust preferred securities. The Corporation also terminated $1,000 million of Puttable Reset Securities (“PURS”), senior bank notes issued by M&I Bank, in 2007. The Corporation realized losses of $83.7 million from these transactions which are reported as Losses on Termination of Debt in the Consolidated Statements of Income. These losses reduced income from continuing operations by $54.4 million or $0.20 per diluted share.

During 2007, the Corporation recorded liabilities in connection with its share of the proposed settlement of the American Express antitrust litigation against Visa and other Visa litigation matters. While the Corporation is not a named defendant in any of these lawsuits, the Corporation and other Visa member banks are obligated to share in losses in connection with certain lawsuits under Visa by-laws. The expense, which is reported in Other Expense in the Consolidated Statements of Income, amounted to $25.8 million which decreased income from continuing operations by $16.8 million or $0.06 per diluted share.

During 2007, the Corporation purchased $286.6 million of additional bank-owned life insurance. The net realizable value is reported, along with the Corporation’s other bank-owned life insurance, in Accrued Interest and Other Assets in the Consolidated Balance Sheets. The increase in net realizable value is reported in Life Insurance Revenue in the Consolidated Statements of Income.

The Corporation has a tradition of being committed to the betterment of the communities within the markets that it serves. Consistent with that tradition, the Corporation made a sizeable contribution to its charitable foundation in 2007. That expense, which is reported in Other Expense in the Consolidated Statements of Income, amounted to $25.0 million, which decreased income from continuing operations by $16.3 million or $0.06 per diluted share.

During 2007, the Corporation remarketed the 3.90% STACKS SM of M&I Capital Trust B that were originally issued in 2004 as components of the Corporation’s 6.50% Common SPACES SM . In connection with the remarketing, the annual interest rate on the remarketed STACKS was reset at 5.626%, M&I Capital Trust B was liquidated and $400 million of 5.626% senior notes that mature on August 17, 2009 were issued by the Corporation in exchange for the outstanding STACKS. Each Common SPACES also included a stock purchase contract requiring the holder to purchase, in accordance with a settlement rate formula, shares of the Corporation’s common stock. The Corporation issued 9,226,951 shares of its common stock in settlement of the stock purchase contracts in exchange for $400 million in cash.

Beginning in the second quarter and continuing throughout the remainder of 2007, the Corporation completed three accelerated common share repurchases as well as open market repurchases of shares of its common stock under its authorized Stock Repurchase Program. In total, 10,765,889 shares of the Corporation’s common stock were acquired in 2007 at an aggregate cost of $437.1 million.

During 2006, the Corporation completed two banking acquisitions and one wealth management acquisition.

Income from continuing operations for the year ended December 31, 2006 includes the impact of the mark-to-market adjustments associated with certain interest rate swaps. Based on expanded interpretations of the accounting standard for derivatives and hedge accounting it was determined that certain transactions did not qualify for hedge accounting. As a result, any fluctuation in the fair value of the interest rate swaps was recorded in earnings with no corresponding offset to the hedged items or accumulated other comprehensive income. The affected interest rate swaps were terminated in 2006. The impact, which is reported as Net Derivative Losses-Discontinued Hedges in the Consolidated Statements of Income, resulted in a decrease to income from continuing operations of $12.0 million or $0.05 per diluted share.

On January 1, 2006, the Corporation adopted Statement of Financial Accounting Standards No. 123 (revised 2004), Share-Based Payment (“SFAS 123(R)”), the new accounting standard that requires all share-based compensation to be expensed. For the Corporation, additional expense was reported for its stock option awards and its employee stock purchase plan. In conjunction with the adoption of SFAS 123(R), the Corporation elected the Modified Retrospective Application method to implement the new accounting standard. Under that method all prior period consolidated and segment financial information was adjusted based on pro forma amounts previously disclosed.

MANAGEMENT DISCUSSION FOR LATEST QUARTER

Third quarter 2007

As previously discussed, on July 1, 2007, the Corporation completed its acquisition of Excel.

During the third quarter of 2007, the Corporation remarketed the 3.90% STACKS of M&I Capital Trust B that were originally issued in 2004 as components of the Corporation’s 6.50% Common SPACES. In connection with the remarketing, the annual interest rate on the remarketed STACKS was reset at 5.626%, M&I Capital Trust B was liquidated and $400 million of 5.626% senior notes that mature on August 17, 2009 were issued by the Corporation in exchange for the outstanding STACKS. Each Common SPACES also included a stock purchase contract requiring the holder to purchase, in accordance with a settlement rate formula, shares of the Corporation’s common stock. The Corporation issued 9,226,951 shares of its common stock in settlement of the stock purchase contracts in exchange for $400.0 million in cash.

During the third quarter of 2007, the Corporation purchased $243.3 million of additional bank-owned life insurance. The net realizable value is reported, along with the Corporation’s other bank-owned life insurance, in Accrued interest and other assets in the Consolidated Balance Sheets. The increase in net realizable value is reported in Life insurance revenue in the Consolidated Statements of Income.

During the third quarter of 2007, pre-tax gains resulting from capital markets investments, sales of investment securities, and interest rate swap terminations amounted to $13.9 million. Gains in the amount of $8.9 million are reported in Net investment securities gains and the remainder of the gains are reported in the Other line of Other Income in the Consolidated Statements of Income.

As previously disclosed, costs associated with the transaction to separate Marshall & Ilsley Corporation and Metavante Corporation into two separate publicly traded companies amounted to a pre-tax and after-tax expense of $5.4 million for the three months ended September 30, 2007 and $9.4 million ($9.0 million after-tax) for the nine months ended September 30, 2007.

Second quarter 2007

As previously discussed, on April 1, 2007, the Corporation completed its acquisition of United Heritage and on April 20, 2007, the Corporation completed its acquisition of North Star.

During the second quarter of 2007, the Corporation completed two accelerated share repurchase transactions under its authorized Stock Repurchase Program. In the aggregate, the Corporation acquired 6.1 million shares of its common stock in these transactions. Total consideration in these transactions amounted to $297.3 million and consisted of cash of $294.7 million and common treasury stock valued at $2.6 million. In conjunction with the first accelerated share repurchase transaction executed during the second quarter of 2007, the Corporation used 54,035 shares of its treasury common stock to share-settle the final settlement obligation.

During the second quarter of 2007, the Corporation sold its investment in MasterCard Class B common shares and realized a pre-tax gain of $19.0 million. That gain is reported in Net investment securities gains in the Consolidated Statements of Income. The Corporation sold its investment in order to monetize the significant appreciation in the market price of the common stock of MasterCard since its initial public offering.

During the second quarter and first half of 2007, the Corporation realized a pre-tax loss of $1.0 million and a pre-tax gain of $7.0 million, respectively, related to Metavante’s investment in Firstsource. See Note 3 - Equity Investment in Firstsource Solutions Limited in Notes to Financial Statements for further information.

As previously disclosed, costs associated with the transaction to separate Marshall & Ilsley Corporation and Metavante Corporation into two separate publicly traded companies amounted to a pre-tax expense of $2.6 million ($2.3 million after-tax) for the three months ended June 30, 2007.