|Glossary Term: EQUITY|
Definition(s) for EQUITY:
1. ) may mean any of the following: 1. In a brokerage account, the market value of securities minus the amount borrowed. Equity is especially important for margin accounts, for which minimum standards must be met. 2. the ownership structure of a company represented by tocks - common shares, preferred shares or unit interests. For instance, an investor may prefer investing in equities instead of in bonds. Also called equity security. 3. In accounting, funds contributed by stockholders through diret payment and through retained earnings.
2. ) Ownership in a company, whereas bonds represent debt, stocks represent equity.
3. ) Ownership interest in an asset after liabilities are deducted.
4. ) an owner's financial interest in a property; calculated by subtracting the amount still owed on the mortgage loon(s)from the fair market value of the property.
5. ) In a margin account, this is the difference between the securities owned and the margin loans owed. It is the amount the investor would keep after all positions have been closed and all margin loans paid off.
6. ) The difference between the fair market value of the home and the outstanding balance on your mortgage plus any outstanding home equity loans.
7. ) In an installment sale or loan, the positive difference between the trade-in or market value of your vehicle and the loan payoff amount. When the loan is paid off, the equity is the market value of the vehicle.
8. ) The risk-sharing part of a company's capital usually referred to as ordinary shares.
9. ) The risk-sharing part of a company's capital, usually made up of ordinary shares.
EQUITY METHOD, EQUITY SECURITY, EQUITY TRANCHE, HOME OWNERSHIP AND EQUITY PROTECTION ACT (HOPEA), TANGIBLE EQUITY OR TANGIBLE NET WORTH, COMMON STOCK-OTHER EQUITY, FREE CASH FLOW TO EQUITY (FCFE), PRIVATE EQUITY, SWEAT EQUITY, ASSET-EQUITY RATIO, COST OF EQUITY, DEBT-EQUITY RATIO, DEBT-FOR-EQUITY SWAP, DEFERRED EQUITY, EQUITY CLAIM, EQUITY COLLAR, EQUITY FLOOR, EQUITY MARKET, EQUITY MULTIPLIER